The main responsibilities of the Governing Body are to:
- Set aims, objectives and targets for the school; to oversee and devise policies and procedures and to have a vision for the future of the school which benefits the children, staff and stakeholders.
- Oversee that safeguarding policies and procedures are in place.
- Assure that ‘Every Child Matters’ and to promote high standards of education and achievement.
- Monitor that the school is doing what the Governing Body planned it should do by using the Head Teacher’s report, the ‘Developing Excellence’ Plan, attending pupil progress meetings, visits to the school, Governors Day, committee reports, presentations by the Senior Leadership Team and speaking to the children about their school.
- Set and approve the school budget ensuring best value is achieved.
- Ensure the premises are well maintained.
- Be involved in the life of the school, attending achievement assemblies, sporting, musical, enterprise and drama events and being involved in the PTA events.
- Develop strong links between the school and the local community.
Have an independent view and act as a ‘critical friend’ to the Head Teacher and Senior Leadership Team.